Screen shot 2014-10-10 at 14.36.54The year 11 football team, including some year 10s did exceptionally well on the 9th October beating Ormiston Sir Stanley Mathews 5-0. The match was an away game played on the 3G at Sir Stanley Matthews Academy and the report follows below.

A nervous start from both teams allowed a very open first 10 minutes until Harry Baggaley got the team off to a flying start neatly slotting home from a quality Luke Dennis through ball on the 15-minute mark. Some heavy pressure from Trentham quickly bought about a second, George Robson latched on to a superb long range pass from goalkeeper Zak Wilcox and finished neatly into the top corner. 25 minutes gone and Trentham led 2-0. Sir Stanley Mathews then raised their game and came close twice, before the referee blew for half time, a excellent half for Trentham

Trentham knew the next goal in the game was vital and the introduction of Conor Goodwin at right back added that much needed extra pace to counter the threat of the SSM left-winger.

7 minutes of the second half was all in took for Trentham to get the goal that their play had deserved. Harry Baggaley again used his blistering pace to keep the ball in play on the left wing, twisting and turning his opponent before firing into the bottom, near post corner. 3-0 to Trentham, who were now dominating the possession and controlling the game.

Luke Dennis and Josh Ryder dominated the center of the pitch with some neat, short, sharp passing to retain possession. Liam Longson was then introduced for George Robson, who worked extremely hard for the team and on another day maybe could have left the pitch with a hat trick. This bought a change of shape for Trentham who’s dominance with the ball was yet again rewarded when Ryan Bromley capitalised on a penalty box scramble to hammer home first time. A great finish from Ryan who was unlucky not to have scored earlier in the first half when his shot at goal had beaten the keeper but was cleared off the line by SSM. 4-0 and Trentham still hadn’t finished, a combination of technical ability and a hunger to win the ball back as soon as possible allowed Trentham to control the game further. Centre back Tim Flackett was unlucky not to have scored when his bullet header struck the post after a quality corner from Harry Baggaley.

A tremendous second half performance from winger Elliot Turner really stretched the SSM defense and aloud Ryan Bromley the space to run with the ball. Using his quick feet inside the penalty box he goaded a poor challenge from the SSM defender, the ref pointed to the spot, penalty! Harry Baggaley stepped up to complete his hat trick making no mistake when he smashed the ball down the middle of the goal. Josh Redfern was then introduced at left back for Owais Hussain who had a solid game.

With the game all but over Ryan Williams, Tim Flackett, Josh Ryder and Luke Dennis worked hard to keep the ball and controlled possession until the ref blew the final whistle. A superb win in The City Cup for Trentham. A special mention to Ryan Williams and Tim Flackett for their superb performance leading the team from the back and barely giving SSM a sniff of goal, which provided a clean sheet for goal keeper Zak Wilcox. Any one of the 14 players could have won man of the match but for his selfless running and a brilliant hat trick Harry Baggaley takes the Honor! A huge well done to all from Mr. Dawson, the whole P.E department and the entire school! Keep it up!!


Team for the game against SSM


Zak Wilcox

Tom Watson (Conor Goodwin)

Ryan Williams

Tim Flackett

Owais Hussain (Josh Redfern)

Josh Ryder

Luke Dennis

Ryan bromley

Elliot Turner

Harry Baggaley

George Robson (Liam Longson)

Category: News